Senior Editor — July 2017 to Present — Portland, Maine
- Write and edit articles about politics, social justice issues, the economy, and the environment.
- Previous position held at Common Dreams: Staff Writer (July 2017 to May 2022).
Fact-checker — July 2016 to June 2017 — New York, New York
- Fact-checked and conduct research for the magazine, with a focus on long features.
Freelancer — July 2016 to June 2017; Intern — January 2016 to July 2016 — New York, New York
- Fact-checked, copy edited and conducted research for the magazine and website;
- assisted five editors (including the editor/publisher, and publisher emeritus) with specific projects;
- prepped stories for the website;
- attended all editorial meetings;
- reported to the office full-time, five days per week.
- Returned in September 2016 and February 2017, for one week each time, to fill in for the internship director; oversaw interns and coordinated with the copy department for daily online articles and a print issue.
- Returned in January 2017 for two weeks to fill in for the vice president of communications; booked writer and editor appearances on radio and television shows, completed a research project, drafted an award submission, and managed official magazine correspondence with readers and media professionals.
Freelancer — August 2014 to Present; Intern — Summers 2013, 2014 — Chicago, Illinois
- Pitched and wrote stories for the website and magazine;
- fact-checked and copy edited other writers’ stories, including multiple cover stories;
- prepped stories for the website;
- conducted research;
- attended all editorial board meetings;
- received sponsorship from the Park Center for Independent Media;
- received Ithaca College course credit.
Intern — August 2013 to November 2013 — London, England
- Wrote features and blog posts for the website and newspaper;
- served as PN’s go-to reporter for anti-arms trade activism in the UK;
- interviewed peaceful activists in London and Syria;
- received Ithaca College course credit through the Ithaca College London Center.
New York State Reporter — June 2014 to September 2014 — Ithaca, New York
- Recruited by the editor prior to June 2014 site launch;
- pitched and wrote stories for the website;
- covered New York State political news remotely, from Chicago;
- approved republishing of pieces from Ithaca Week and Just Ithaca.
Social Media Manager — January 2014 to January 2015 — Ithaca, New York
- Managed Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts;
- attended three weekly editor meetings;
- created social media and website commenting guidelines documents;
- conducted social media training workshops for editorial and reporting staffs;
- received weekly stipend.
- Previous positions held at The Ithacan: Contributing Writer, Copy Editor (September 2011 to January 2012).
Undersecretary-General of Media — July 2011 to December 2019 — Chicago, Illinois
Undersecretary-General of Media:
- Selected and trained all media staffers;
- attended pre-conference directorate and steering committee (top eight conference directors) meetings;
- oversaw online, broadcast and social media content by student delegates and volunteer staffers during the conference;
- coordinated staff-delegate broadcast projects for TeleMUNDO aka CIMUN News Network.
- Jessica chaperoned the CIMUN X field trip to WBEZ‘s “Worldview,” the station’s longest-running global affairs radio program.
- She also chronicled CIMUN X for Best Delegate following the January 2014 conference.
- Previously, Jessica served as Executive Editor of the International Press Delegation, a sector of the media department.
- Jessica attended CIMUN for three years as a high school student and has returned every year since then to serve as a volunteer staffer.
Formerly, Executive Secretary:
- Oversaw and produced long-term development documents for the conference;
- assisted the Secretary-General and Chief of Staff as needed;
- attended pre-conference directorate and steering committee meetings.
Formerly, Chief of Staff:
- Oversaw full staff of 145+ college students and young professionals, including leadership team;
- oversaw staff selection process and approved all staff placements;
- scheduled and ran pre-conference all-staff, directorate, and steering committee meetings and conference calls;
- created and distributed staff training materials;
- booked and managed all staff travel and accommodations for the conference;
- planned staff receptions and all official staff-only conference events;
- served as a resource for all staffers regarding travel, accommodations, training, and general conference information;
- assisted Secretary-General with all conference tasks, as needed.
Upfront (Features) Editor & Treasurer — September 2011 to May 2015 — Ithaca, New York
- Managed feature writers;
- ran editorial meetings;
- managed finances/budget;
- wrote features;
- copy edited and fact-checked for all sections of the magazine;
- trained incoming editors.
- Previous positions held at Buzzsaw: Contributing writer, Copy Editor.
Copy Editor & Board Member — September 2014 to May 2015 — Ithaca, New York
- Copy edited all material for the website;
- assisted with weekly meetings;
- contributed to outreach efforts for growing this new online campus outlet.
Assistant Producer — January 2013 to May 2014 — Ithaca, New York
- Assisted with selection of and wrote stories for live broadcasts;
- created Photoshop visuals for over-the-shoulder boxes and fullscreen informative boards that corresponded with stories;
- cut VO/SOT for broadcast, using Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer or Adobe Premiere Pro;
- operated studio camera (Ikegami HL-45 AW);
- took directions from the line producer during live broadcasts.
Assistant Producer — March 2013 to May 2013 — Washington, D.C.
- Traveled to D.C. with a group of Park Scholars and Ithaca College Professor James Rada for the documentary Meet Me at Equality;
- filmed and conducted interviews with participants of the March on Washington of 1963;
- assisted with outreach for film promotion.
- The documentary aired on D.C.’s PBS affiliate in August 2013, just in time to celebrate the march’s 50th anniversary.
News Feed Writer, Copy Editor & Coordinator — September 2011 to May 2015 — Ithaca, New York
- Managed writers for weekly News Feed content;
- managed website and posted stories to News Feed and Senior Blog;
- copy edited articles and scholar bios for News Feed, Senior Blog and Park Scholar Annual Report;
- wrote about Park Scholar Program activities;
- managed Park Scholar Twitter account.
Involvement & Work
- Equinox Park Avenue – February 2016 to June 2017 – New York, New York
- Nanny – January 2007 to December 2015, as needed – Sugar Grove, Illinois
- Park Scholar Program, Office Assistant – January 2014 to May 2015 – Ithaca, New York
- Ithaca College Human Rights, Member – January 2014 to May 2014 – Ithaca, New York
- Ithaca College Front Row Foundation, Founding Executive Director – September 2011 to December 2013 – Ithaca, New York
- Be Irie, Member – September 2012 to December 2013 – Ithaca, New York
- Park Scholar Advisory Board, Class Representative – January 2012 to May 2012 – Ithaca, New York
- Honors Program Advisory Board, Class Representative – September 2011 to December 2012 – Ithaca, New York
- National Marfan Foundation, Volunteer – June 2010 to August 2014 – Chicago, Illinois
- Honors Program Service Projects, Volunteer – February 2014 to May 2015 – Ithaca, New York
- Park Scholar Media Club, Volunteer – December 2011 to May 2015 – Ithaca, New York
- OSEMA Service Saturdays, Volunteer – February 2014 to May 2015 – Ithaca, New York
- Oxfam, Volunteer – February 2013 to December 2013 – London, England
- Ithaca College Advising, Hiring Committee – May 2013 – Ithaca, New York
- South Hill Elementary School, Classroom Aide – September 2011 to December 2012 – Ithaca, New York
- Jumpstart Community Plunge, Volunteer – August 2011 – Ithaca, New York